June 28, 2008 was one of the MOST memorable wildflower days of my life. I've never hiked the Tahoe wilderness areas during the peak of the wildflower bloom until June 28, 2008. On a field trip with the Lahontan Audubon Society, I was introduced to a variety of new wildflowers including my first orchid, the Rein orchid (Platanthera leucostachys) in a beautiful (almost dreamlike) meadow at Blackwood Canyon. It was only about 6" tall and hiding in amongst the grasses but our guide new that it should be in bloom and found it for us. It was an amazing day. I learned many new wildlflowers and also added a few bird species to my life list (calliope hummingbird, Clark's nutcracker, and pine grosbeak).
Sunday, July 6, 2008
My first wild orchid
June 28, 2008 was one of the MOST memorable wildflower days of my life. I've never hiked the Tahoe wilderness areas during the peak of the wildflower bloom until June 28, 2008. On a field trip with the Lahontan Audubon Society, I was introduced to a variety of new wildflowers including my first orchid, the Rein orchid (Platanthera leucostachys) in a beautiful (almost dreamlike) meadow at Blackwood Canyon. It was only about 6" tall and hiding in amongst the grasses but our guide new that it should be in bloom and found it for us. It was an amazing day. I learned many new wildlflowers and also added a few bird species to my life list (calliope hummingbird, Clark's nutcracker, and pine grosbeak).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment