Well, spring has sprung and so has the one of the faults that we recently learned we live almost on top of.
Nobody told us they had earthquakes in Nevada!! We have had a “swarm” of earthquakes (according to the
UNR seismic lab) over the past six weeks and today alone there have been
29 recorded quakes thus far; four of them were between 3.0 and 3.4 magnitude!
Needless to say, I’m on edge and may start drinking soon to calm my nerves.
Earthquakes in the 3.0 range may seem small but when you’re sitting on top of them, they sure don’t feel small. Here's a map that was created by the UNR Seismic Lab. I think it speaks for itself. You can view it in its acutal size at the
UNR Seismic Lab website. Our house is right under the "o" in Somersett so we are sitting just north of all of the activity.
This is a reminder that we should ALL be earthquake prepared. And don’t think that just because you’re not in California or Nevada you can’t have earthquakes. They can pretty much happen anywhere. Here are a couple of websites so you can brush up on your earthquake preparedness.
The Seven Steps to Earthquake Safety
Nevada Earthquake Preparedness Information
USGS Earthquake Preparedness Handbook
1 comment:
Thanks so much for this! I find it interesting ... we've had a youknowhat~load off the coast of Oregon - which in and of itself is not strange - I guess two plates meet up out there. But - they are happening in a whole new area that is unusual. AND - they just had a 5.4 in Illinois. WTF? I don't know what it means but I'd wear a helmet 24/7 if I was you. xo
Post a Comment