Saturday, June 30, 2012

Rainbows and Butterflies has turned PINK!

I started this blog four years ago when I was celebrating my 10-year anniversary of surviving breast cancer. You can read my very first post here. I started the blog thinking that I could share interesting tidbits, things happening in my life, photos of the beautiful new place we live in, etc. But shortly thereafter I joined Facebook and the blog took a backseat.

Well, today is June 30, 2012 and I have decided to resurrect the blog and turn it PINK!  PINK because I received another breast cancer diagnosis. It came on June 11 while I was on a busines trip in Tucson. Fortunately, I was with two very supportive, amazing women (one of whom I had just met) who helped me through that week away from home. I will be forever grateful.

Another fortunately...I have been diligent since my first diagnosis of getting my mammograms, doing self exams, etc, so this was caught super early. Here's the short version...about a year ago the radiologist saw some microcalcifications on my mammogram. They have been watching them since, and I've been having mammograms every six months on that side. After my most recent mammogram, the radiologist said that the microcalcifications hadn't changed since she first discovered them, but based on my history she recommended a biopsy. I agreed without hestitation and here we are. This is all happening on the "other" side, so is considered a new primary cancer, not a recurrence of the first. As I mentioned it was caught really early, but I am in the whirlwind again of doctor appointments, decisions, and uncertainties. Only one thing is certain...I am going to be fine.

I found two great doctors (surgeon and plastic surgeon) that come highly recommended and have a great reputation in the community. I feel confident that I made the right decision for me and my situation. I have chosen to have a bilateral skin-sparing mastectomy with immediate reconstruction.
My surgery is scheduled for July 18.

My intention is to use this blog to keep you up-to-date on my journey. In addition, I hope this blog will increase awareness of the importance of early detection. If you are reading this, please be proactive with your health, please do breast self-exams, please get clinical breast exams, please tell your friends and family to be proactive. We may not have a cure (yet), but we can survive this...I'm proof!

No comments: