I received the results of my BRCA1/BRCA2 genetic test. If you're not familiar with the BRCA1/BRCA2 test, it tests for mutations in these two genes. Everybody has these genes, but not everybody has the mutations. And studies show that if you have the mutations, you are at an increased risk for breast and ovarian cancer. Having the mutations does not mean they will be expressed (i.e., that you will get either cancer); it just means that your risk is increased. To read more visit the genetic testing page at komen.org. My results showed that I am BRCA1 negative and BRCA2 positive. To me it means two things. First, it is confirmation that I chose the right surgery. Second, it somewhat answers the "Why me?" question. I now know that having the genetic mutation increased my risk of cancer. The unanswered question is what caused the mutation to express itself. That question I will probably never know the answer to.
The next step...dealing with the increased risk of ovarian cancer. Lots of questions to ask, lots of questions to be answered, some more decisions to be made. I'll be talking to a genetic counselor and more doctors to help me through the next steps.
No comments:
Post a Comment