Monday, July 30, 2012

Home = Heaven

My last post left off during my first night in the hospital. The next day the nausea continued and after an anti-nausea drug didn't work and I don't know how much time, the nurse (I think it was the nurse) suggested that maybe it was the morphine that was making me sick, the morphine that I was dispensing through "the button" as often as I could to dull the pain. He gave me a different anti-nausea drug, told me to stop pressing the button, and switched me Percoset instead. And, voila, by that afternoon I had done a complete 180 and was feeling soooooo much better. The remainder of my time in the hospital was uneventful, just the normal routine of meds, bad TV, and really bad food. I was so happy to hear the doctors say I could go home on Friday.

By the time the nurses got the dicharge papers in order and I was released, it was late afternoon on Friday. Ahhhh home, a shower, a real bed, MY pillow, healthy food, my DVR, and so much more. Heaven!

My first week at home went really well. How could it not with your husband doting on you, your Mom waiting on you hand and foot, flowers and cards and well wishes coming from every direction, and your friends taking care of dinner almost every night. The meds kept the pain under control and I was at the plastic surgeon's office every other day to get checked. He said that all is healing well. All of the staples and 2 of the 4 drains came out.

Now it's 12 days after surgery and I'm feeling great. Hopefully the last 2 drains will come out today. I've been able to cut the pain meds in half and I went for a couple of walks around the neighborhood with Greg and my Dad -- my bodyguards-- over the weekend.

Every day gets a little easier and every day I feel a little better.

No comments: