Thursday, July 5, 2012

Everything Happens for a Reason...Just Believe!

The title of this post is one of my favorite sayings. It helps me deal with situations, good or bad, just knowing that there is a reason behind every event. I may not know the reason right away (actually more often than not I don't), but as time passes, things come into focus, and the reasons become clear. There are probably many reasons I was meant to experience breast cancer the first time 14 years ago. But the one reason that I'm reminded of now, now that I've been diagnosed for the second time, is that without that first diagnosis, I would not have met many of the wonderful, amazing, generous, thoughtful, compassionate, passionate, and TRUE friends that I met because of breast cancer.

In 2003 I became involved with the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure in San Diego. I walked the event that year as a celebration of my 5-year survivor anniversary. I trained hard and made it the 60 miles in 3 days with many physical aches and pains, but also with an absolute knowing in my heart that I was going to remain involved with this organization, and this event in particular, until breast cancer is no longer a life-threatening disease. Every year since 2003 (except 2007 when I moved), I have been on the all volunteer crew for either the San Diego or San Francisco event. Each year I meet the most amazing people and over the years many of us have become close because we return each year. We have formed our own 3-Day family. I truly love my Kanunu O'hana.

Our Crew Captain honored me in his blog today. I was touched to tears and reminded of the strength of our Kanunu O'hana. Thank you Andrew! Whether we like it or not, without breast cancer, we never would have met. There are many more of you 3-Day'ers out there (you know who you are) that I love dearly. I am so fortunate to know you. Although I'm not going to make Boston, I will look forward to constant photos on Facebook and I will see you in San Diego in November.

For you non-3-Day'ers (and non-Facebookers), here are links to my photos on Facebook of some of the events over the years. You'll see why I keep going back.
2011
2010
2009
2008

And also, without my own experience with breast cancer, I never would have joined an organization called ChemoAngels. After I made it through my own journey, I wanted to hopefully help another young breast cancer survivor get through hers. I found ChemoAngels, signed up to become an Angel, and was matched with a strong, independent, amazing woman. This year she celebrates her 10-year survivor anniversary. Love ya TLW!

So we'll see what new reasons come into focus as the months and years pass. I'm sure there will be many...just believe.

No comments: